Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Craft Beer Week Celebration Dinner



Last nights Craft Beer Week Dinner Celebration couldn't have been a more beautiful evening dining on the outside patio at Athens' hotspot The Melting Point. Friends and local celebrity brewers gathered under the stars while enjoying the background sounds of a live bluegrass band. We tasted some terrific brews, two of which I found new to my palette and very exciting.

First was Terrapin's 90 Shelling Scotch Ale, Side Project Vol 6 by Terrapin Beer Company. I loved the this beer and I loved sitting next to Spike, the man who brewed it, especially when he sang along to one of my fav songs by Johnny Cash - Big River.

We enjoyed a fabulous Vichyssoise - Potato and Leek Soup served chilled with Caramelized Prosciutto and Fried Leeks paired with Allagash Confluence Ale. Full of flavor, the creamy soup, to me, contrasted neatly with the slightly fruity taste and light foam top.

Next up was White Asparagus Salad with a fantastic blood orange vinaigrette and basil oil. The Sweetwater Double IPA was bright and tasty and a wee bit sour which I like. Still nothing could beat the "Asparagus Makes Your Pee Smell" discussion. According to one guest who actually did a study on this, asparagus makes your pee smell. I never knew this, and as it turns out, only some people can smell it - I obviously being one of the few who falls into the "can't smell it" category.

The real treat came with the main entree, Muscovy Duck. Paired with Atlanta Brewing Belgian Strong Dark Ale Aged in Pappy Van Winkle Barrel. WOW. I felt I was just let into a secret society. The beer was like nothing I've imagined in a beer before. Banana, Coconut, Whiskey are the 3 words that dominated the first taste. Guests lavished Dave McClure, it's creator, with praises and congrats. It was an honor to have him on hand and he sat and visited with several guests to share news on how he did it.

We wrapped up with Stone Russian Imperial Stout and Tiramisu Cake.

But the real testimony came as the table was cleared and folks began meandering, I could hear some testify that indeed their pee did smell after the asparagus. Crazy.

No comments: