Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grut Bier - Ale Brewed with Spices


Last night, I had my first taste of beer — beer that did not taste like any ordinary beer. What I mean is, I had Grut Bier and yes, it took me by surprise. Sachin at Five Points Bottle Shop, the walking library on beer, said take it home. He filled me in on the history and off I went, intrigued, but I had no idea what he was talking about.

So the story goes, 13th Century Grut Bier is brewed according to the recipes dating back to before the German Purity Law in 1516. The Purity Law stipulated that only water, barley and hops could be used. Prior to then, it was common practice to use any kind of different spices, herbs, fruits and plants for bittering and flavor. (Hops was not well know at the time.)

Part of the Historic Signature Series by Dr. Fritz Briem, Grut Bier is brewed according to historic recipes rooted in various cultures and 'special ingredients'.

Immediately, after pouring the cloudy, straw colored concoction in my Terrapin tulip glass, I noticed herbs and spices; when I took a sip it had a surprising, taste of bay leaf, ginger and lavender. What's this? Bay leaf, Ginger? It was a strange sensation, but I have to say after a few sips, I found it as intriguing is it's roots, refreshing, and appetizing.

Grab a bottle and share this unique, modern interpretation of beer history with ye ole best friend.

No comments: